Put Old School Garphics on Popsicle Boards
  • Why not? You put the Vato Rat on a popsicle. How about the other old graphics too? That way you wouldn't need a huge Gelfand set up for pool/park use only, you could have one for everyday use too. Also, the Vato Rat? Make it in PINK. I had a pink one back in the day. Wasn't my first love, but it's the one I think about when I wake up at 3 AM.
  • yea id love to rock a ripper or a skull and sword on a 7.5 or a 7.625 or 7 7/8
  • i like your style dude. =) MAKE THAT VATO RAT IN PINK!! like i said before... black does NOT do these boards justice. i want the vato rat back in the original shape i missed out on that last run. sux. that graphic is timeless!!!. no reason to not have it in every catalog. 1.ripper 2.skul and sword 3.vato rat in original shapes should just be readily available at all times. period. =)
  • when they did the 25 year anniversary celebration they had alot of old school graphics on modern shapes like the mountie and the mcgill and the nordic skull
  • were trying but its not likely you will see in on a 7.75. what we are trying to do is to create a brand separation between Powell Classic, Powell Peralta, and Powell contemporary lines. that is why you dont see a lot of the older graphics on new school decks. if we were to do it they would be on larger 8.25-9.00 decks. im way down but its just managements decision to separate the brands
  • vato rat 10x30. any color but black please =)
  • orange with black rats and stripes would be epic. too bad we didnt do that for this catalog run because it would have been a hot Halloween seller.
  • yea it probably would have lol
  • holy crap. that would rock.
  • So even going to 8 inch is out of the question with the oldschool graphic's?They'd sell like hot cake's!
  • again, what we are trying to do is to create a brand separation between Powell Classic, Powell Peralta, and Powell contemporary lines. that is why you dont see a lot of the older graphics on new school decks.
  • As it should be. Those graphics were designed for the actual board shape; personally, I think don't think they belong on new school shapes. SC has done some modified versions of Jeff Grosso and Roskopp graphics for their new school decks, and I've seen other companies do it, and it never looks good. I know it's supposed to be a tribute (or an easy way to sell more decks), but I'd rather not see it. What I do think is awesome is that Jim Philips is doing art for new school shapes for pocket pistols. Graphics look great and he's designing for the popsicle shape, so it works.

I don't know if Powell can have some of their veteran artists come back for guest-art decks (new art on new school shapes of course), but I think a lot of people would be psyched on that.
  • well a graphic will fit any board it doesnt matter what shape it is and powell was always built on giving ppl a choice and have a bit of everything for everybody personally id rather be able to buy an old school graphic on a modern shape not only beacause im a modern skateboarder but i dont want to dish out 60 bucks for a board i cant really do tricks on but that is just me all of u old school guys are lucky as shit that they still make ur old school boards i wont see any issues from my time til im dead
  • "well a graphic will fit any board it doesnt matter what shape it is..."

brigade_bill, sorry man, but that ain't true. Sure, you can stick any graphic on any shape, but that doesn't mean it will fit properly. You can shrink it, skew it, whatever, but if the original was contoured to the lines of a fish shape, it's not going to look right on rails that don't taper. I'm an old schooler, I love VCJ's graphics, and I only ride new school shapes, but I think it would be wrong to slap his graphics on a popsicle. It would dilute the importance of those graphics. I'd rather see people get stoked on new art on new school shapes and have skateboarding graphics mean something again.
  • " all of u old school guys are lucky as shit that they still make ur old school boards " GOOD POINT......

"Sure, you can stick any graphic on any shape, but that doesn't mean it will fit properly. You can shrink it, skew it, whatever, but if the original was contoured to the lines of a fish shape, it's not going to look right on rails that don't taper." ALSO A GOOD POINT........
    so allow me to throw my 2 cents in now. YES.. we are lucky powell has made re-issues of famous decks/shapes in the 80's. however there is a HUGE NEED for them. so its not just luck =) its called "consumer demand" . people want them. thats why they keep getting made. they make a profit off of them. they continue to sell out. so therefore they continue to be made. we are "LUCKY "to have the ones available that exist.. like everyone else i wish they had the WHOLE catalog from the 80's available for purchase. guess what..... not gonna happen. too many politics. legalitys. money, materials, employees,etc...........
    i only ride old school boards. only do old school tricks. im riding purely for nostalgia,fun, and the pure love of skating. does a mike mcgill graphic belong on a popsicle deck????? i dunno....probably not. would people buy it?... thats the question..pleny of other companys out there that make" popsicle decks"with lame graphics that will get scratched off after a few handrail slides. powell has a history.... one that must be continued........... correctly ......thats probably the reason for the "brand seperation" and they will be made in the best intrest of the loyal fanbase that continues the demand as long as all partys involved comply. at least thats how i see it..i dunno.. i dont work for them... just my opinion.
  • well i understand what u both are saying and i have my own skate company so i know about supply and demand but i have seen old powell graphics on new school shapes like the ban this dragon and the harris mountie and cab propeller skull and the mcgill and the nordic skull and they were pretty sick u can put a old school graphic on a new school shape and not lose any of the image that is what is better known as digital art it could be on a width of one million by 3 million and it would still fit lol but u know different strokes for different folks
  • yeah i agree.. to a certain extent =) i just think some things should be left alone (sacred) but... then again.. the rodney mullen chess skeleton is just begging to be put on an updated shape/popsicle. even i would skate that. bottom line is.... cant make everyone happy all the time. as i said before we are Lucky we have what we have and take it for granted.. its easy to lose focus and get possesive about stuff. these ARE just skateboards ya know..... =) (totaly bad ass skateboards!!!) =)
  • bill whats your company id like to check it out?
  • i own a company called the gust skate co here in dundak,md it is a company for girls who skateboard our website is gustmd.tripod.com
  • "cant make everyone happy all the time"

but we sure are trying;)
  • yep. its noticable. keep up the good work
  • HEY BILL...checked out your site...thats pretty cool . funny cuz theres a girl that usually skates at the park i go to out here on the weekends and she rips. and this chic is only like maybe 14? and there will be these guys in thier 20's afraid to drop in the pool. its like 7ft not even vert . and shel be like "oh my god just drop in already dont be a wuss". and shel drop in and blast a 50/50 for like 6 feet then fakie ollie a foot above the coping. its retarded. i usually skate with her dad if hes there hes my age and very supportive of her skating which is cool. parents never did that when i was groing up. you were defently not encouraged to skate. it was something you were expected to grow out of. it was never a carrer choice like it is now.
  • thanks u should tell her about my company we been in business for almost 2 years (first day of spring is the company's birthday) and just like powell i always give my customers extra hookups so that would be dope! all the prices for my company stuff is listed under the product page and i do free shipping but only on company products the videos and dvds i have for sale is 5 dollars shipping (p.s. if she wears a size medium i only got a few left)some stuff from my company would be really good for an xmas present for her oh and i got a bunch of other girl stuff or sale too like capris and tanktops and socks and all kinds of stuff from various companies cause i had a all girl contest this past summer so im trying to get rid of it so i can get a pro video camera so yea... i think ill end my message here haha
  • if shes there this weekend ill give her the info, no prob. i dont know if she has any footage of her skating but, she should, she rips.
  • dope appreciate it our myspace url is myspace.com/girl_skaters_unite
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion