Board set up help
  • i have been skating for 25 years and i have always stuck to similar set ups - 10" boards, 169s, 60mm+ wheels. i want to change what i'm riding and also get my son a proper set up.

i've narrowed it down to this...

for me:
    mini logo 181 (8.5 x 33.5)
    indy 149s
    skull & sword 58 x 37, 90a

for a 6 year old:
    mini logo 191 (7.5 x 28.65)
    indy 129s
    bones atf 54 x 33, 80a

terrain:
    mostly neighborhood streets/sidewalks, but also concrete parks; cruising with occasional shredding

i understand that one's set up has a lot to do with personal preference, but do those set ups look right? my main issue is that i want to be sure that i fit the proper size wheel to the deck. for example, i am currently riding 60mm 85a bombers and i feel like they would be overkill on a 8.5 mini logo deck.

thoughts on above set up? pics of similar set ups? advice?
  • i would change his wheels to stf
  • Looks good to me. Not a big fan of those Skull and Sword wheels though. I know there is little selection in that hardness. 58mm is still kind of big too.

I think ATF is perfect for a 6 year old on the street.
  • i want to keep his wheels soft b/c our street cruising involves curbs, ditches, cracks, rocks, etc. he has been pushing around on 60mm 85a bombers and has had no issues with rough streets, so i didn't want to go down to a small AND hard wheel. i figured the 54mm will fit his small board, but also allow him to cruise hassle-free. i know there is a 52 atf, but i can't bring myself to go that small for any set up.

what don't you like about the skull & sword 58? for size, i know this is where personal preference comes in. for example, if you check out the completes... both the street ripper and pool ripper blue are 8.5 x 33.5 (same deck as the mini logo 181 i assume), and they are sold set up with 54mm and 60mm respectively. also, the peralta hipster (another 8.5 board) comes set up with 60mm. i have 60mm 85a bombers, but i feel like they are too much wheel for the mini logo deck - too wide, wrong style. i figured the skull & sword was the next step down and a good match - it's 58 and narrower than the bomber. i could consider the 56 oval dragon 90a, but i think that's too small for me. am i missing another option?
  • I think the shape of the S&S wheel is fine, and the size isn't too crazy big - it's a little too big for me though. More importantly, I'm just not a fan of the 'basic' urethane formula. If you want to stay big, I'd go for the 54mm STF 'Standards' over them. I think most on here would agree on STF over vanilla.

I imagine STF is going to be too hard for you though, given what you're used to. What you really should do is try to beg/borrow/steal/ebay some Bones DTF in about 56mm - that's my personal choice for the chunky 35 year old bowl in town... I'm down to my last 2 sets - one 56mm and one 58mm. I'll use the 58's once I'm really desperate! Jesse (old Skateone employee) said that the DTF is basically a 90a wheel too. Really, they would be perfect if you can find them.
  • thanks for the replies. i just placed my order. i kept it to the specs outlined in my first post. i'll let you know how they turn out!
  • Those specs were good. I don't like any wheels smaller than 56mm an 149's are perfect for 8.5 decks.
  • also need help with setup!

im looking to realize a lifelong dream, buying a POWELL PERALTA deck

Im interested in the " hot rod flames" deck, the dimensions are 33.875" x 9.375"

i want to add Mini-Cubic 95a 64mm x 57mm wheels

i have a pair of Tensor trucks (magnesium) previously fitted on an ALMOST Mullen impact support with dimensions 8"x 31.9"

i want to add mini-logo 0.25" risers

i want to add mini-logo 1"bolts

so my concerns are as follows:

1. Do you think the Tensor trucks will be ok with the wider wheels and deck?

2. Will the bolts be long enough given the risers height?

3. I cannot measure the trucks height, they are in another country and nedds to be shipped to me, so i dont know if the bolts will be long enough.

The above is a problem because i live in Taiwan, and my gf is in the states now, and i want her to bring me the new deck and stuff back when she comes back. Oh yes, the trucks are in South Afric,lol

Please can somebody assist me!

Yours truly

AJ

• i would get 1.25 size bolts cause if u use risers and have a inch or less hardware sometimes the bolts come off out of nowhere
  • hot rod deck is 9.375" wide... i would use...

*indy 169s - 8.9" wide
    -you typically want your truck width to be within a 1/4" of the deck's width

*1/2" risers
    -you'll need the clearance for a deck that large
    -will work best with that wheel height to avoid wheel bite
    -it's the classic riser height for a big deck

*check out the complete build of this deck on the site
    -it comes with indy 169s plus the mini cubics

is this going to be a cruiser or park board? i ask b/c the cubics would be good for ramp and pools, but not so good (in my opinion) for street cruising. i would get a softer wheel for that. my neighbor has this deck set up with 68mm 85a bombers, but you could also use the 64mm and be fine too.

*for the hardware/riser question... this should be right... doing it from memory...
    -no risers - 7/8" bolt
    -1/8" riser - 1" bolt
    -1/4" riser - 1/4" bolt
    -1/2 riser - 1/2" bolt
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion