wheel wells

I have read your comments on the cost of wheel wells on
    message boards; labor would jump that to around 80 dollars a deck. Can you as a
    company do this once a year in the slow season to grow sales and give workers
    more hours. If Once a year special reissues with wheel wells were released you
    would sell all as collector’s decks and as for me rider decks. Even in these
    times I would pay the extra cost for the labor. I have 20 of your decks. the
    ones I want to ride I buy two of. I have 4 set up and ride every day. With no
    wheel wells I have to use risers and smaller wheels. I have sent you pictures of
    wheel bite on my deck and talked with your company on the phone about this. If
    wheel wells were back I would skate more and I see all the old companies coming
    back in the last year with everything, deck rails, skids ,deck,  gullwing  trucks pro 3and so on. There are skate park everywhere
    again let’s stop collecting and start using these skateboards. I am 47 years
    old and this has been my passion since I was 6 years old. For all of us that
    love the sport please see what you can do.

• those ppl who work on the decks have a pretty heavy schedule as it is and powell product is always in demand. riser pads should be used anyway but u cant really technically prevent wheel bite cause it will happen one way or the other risers do help though
  • Try using Bones Hard Bushings (Black).  They will reduce wheel bite, but you have to like your trucks tight, which I do.  Wheel bite is going to happen, but you can reduce it. 
  • Ive been riding since I was 7 & I like collecting

I like wheel wells as well though :)

• Sweet McGill Doc! True, risers & tighten up those trucks bro.
  • I when I resumed skating in 2006 I had a few wheel bite slams, so the next deck I bought was a flip Lance Mountain with wheel wells (loved that deck). I still got wheel bite marks but I don't think it stopped me. Next I ordered a custom deck with wheel wells and it showed up without them... so I skated it anyway and again had the bite marks but no issues. For me I think going fast and hard wheels is the answer. All my decks since have bite marks but I haven't got pitched on my side just carving through a corner for years now.

That said, re-ish decks should have them just for authenticity sake and they look cool!
  • This is fun .. Or just being bored. Pulling topics out of the "archives" that are just as relevant now as they were years back.

Will this McGill reissue have wheel wells?
    photo plane_zpssncbbupn.jpg
  • When did slippy become slippery?
  • The last reissue versions they did of this didn't..who knows, it's a different day
  • Notice how friendly the Dr is a few years back?
  • He was hot and cold then too. His first post was friendly as, then within weeks the Tas Pappas Australiana brashness in him came out. Look it up if you don't believe me....it's a lark lol
  • He's still awol
  • I know I have harped on about it before but the wheel wells these guys do are all over the shop. When I look at the 7th series most of the rear wells are consistent but the front wells are all over the shop. Lance's, Cab's and Mike's are fairly placed, but Tommy's and Tony's are wonky as....like seriously, was Tony's front truck that loose?
  • Paul Bound

Notice how friendly the Dr is a few years back?

The most notable thing is how much better this forum used to be, the old website even, now its populated by oxygen thieves & thus its quality is lacking. Not saying all of them are, just the obvious ones seem to outnumber the normal folks.
  • Haha love that expression Dr, oxygen thieves! The forum sure has seen a few come and go the last 7-8 years I've been on it.
  • ...and some won't go, like a bad smell!
  • Imo wheel bite is inevitable, and as long as it's not hitting on the slightest turn, it is something people should learn to deal with.  No matter high I go with risers, there is a little bit of wheel bite, sometimes I don't even feel it, esp with harder wheels, but then the proof is right there.  It's like no matter how tight you make your trucks, you're going to have speed wobble-- it's just something to learn how to deal with.  

I get wheelbite on my current setup and I don't care, as long as you know the catch point you can even use it to your advantage (as a low-speed brake for example).  Even if you get some deep wells, I think it's still going to be inevitable.  It makes me wonder why they're doing these-- it makes the decks so much more expensive, apparently, and is the utility really there?  If so, why don't modern decks have wheel wells?  It does look cool.  
  • Oh, right, I forgot about those-- although I don't know if I would call that a modern deck, it is sort of half experimental, half throwback.  I looked at the Crests a few months ago, but figured for that premium price, I'd rather hit up Ebay for something NOS.  
  • For sure. They are pricey
  • Those Lances look nice as.

I recall a few times as a young fella when I was riding trucks with shitty rubbers that were more loose than the dirtiest whore you would ever cum across grabbn some wheel bite. Its part of the learning curve.
  • Poor bb, never a kind word said!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion