whats this bonite jazz?
  • Hello there fellow skate homies,

Can anyone tell me what bonite is made from? From the research I've done I've come across a few different answers, all of which say it's weak as shit, but the actual composition is varied in the explanations. As I was only a young fella during the 80s I basically had no idea what the go is with these boards, only thing I know is my second deck was a light blue McGill snakeskin, which sadly snapped about a month ago when my idiot brother ollied off a set of 4 steps and it broke just in front of the rear truck :( can't be too upset, it was a hand me down of his and he hurt himself in the process lol

Secondly, as a collector would you be leaning away from these OG decks, and are they the ones you see listed as XT?

Main use for me is as a display but I do set most up that I buy and ride infrequently (only coz boards are made to be ridden).

Merry Christmas yall, hope it's a nice relaxing time with your loved ones and if you're an aussie get a chance to tape up a tenno, and take a hattrick against your family and friends :)
  • I always thought it was thick poster board.  At least that's what it looked like....and it had the same water absorbing properties.
  • it was sheets of  fiberglass/tar paper

here is the ad they ran i dont know who's idea it was to run black text on a gray/black ad but hope they got fired at some point

• hahaha, "beyond strong"...
  • Yea....I'm still pretty sure it was just construction paper.
  • yeah, it might have been alright if all you did was ride vert in southern california
  • They were hard to break, unless you split them down the middle.  They were flat as a board though, and fell apart if you go them wet.
  • Bontie = roofer tar paper
    My Per Welinder  was made of that.
  • Most of my Powell Peralta decks were bonite. I had a Cab with the bats split in half from the nose to the rear trucks length wise. Sent it back to the factory and they shipped me a new one.

• My first real deck was a bonite Cab bat and dragons.  Looking at that ad I didn't know the bonite decks weren't all maple.  Truth be told that deck held up a hell of a lot better than the Santa Cruz Jason Jesse I got after it.
  • There were 2 different versions there was white and black. The white was actually not bad if I remember correctly but the black was the one that absorbed water and made the deck heavier and crappy.
  • There was a white style?  I only remember the XT black bonite.
  • Good ol bonite.. as useful as a pre order

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion