Lets see you shredding

Comments

• @BackInAction Skills! I am going to use your video for my ground-trick list (I can barely ollie but it is coming along, and I have an ok shuvit going now). I am Going to bookmark your vid now so I can put it on repeat when I am in my garage. Totally rad.
  • I envy that heelflip @BackInAction . I can't keep them underneath me to save my life. Pretty awesome garage skating.
  • That was the first heelflip I landed since around '92 or '93.

I started skating again 6 or 7 years ago after 20 years off. Back then I skated a lot of flatland and had a pretty good list of tricks I could do. Since I started up again I neglected almost all of them. Once we started the lockdown I decided that I would work on getting at least some of the tricks back.

I found a Facebook group of 40+ year old skaters and we are doing a virtual game of skate. We are 7 days in, and a number of the tricks were filmed for that.

I spent the weekend trying some of the more difficult tricks and came up with nothing but sore ankles. I have never landed a 360 flip in my life, but landed on the board twice on Saturday, but fell off. Trying double kickflips again - and came super close, but no make. Trying fakie kickflips and half-cab kickflips for the first time as well.

Corona lockdown will either make me a much better skater or break my ankles.
  • Hey guys I'm putting together a skate zine if any of you have pics from 2020 you'd care to submit I'd appreciate it. Please send them to helliotskate@gmail.com
    Thank You,
    Scott
  • First 360 flip ever.

• HEELFLIPS. @SkaterRick and I have been going back and forth on this one. So, you know how Thrasher has that "My War" series of videos? Yeah, well this is me battling a heelflip, ON FLAT...

Jeeeeez.
  • @BackInAction That 360 was sick. Nice work!

Just gotta say, in my last response I didn’t mean to imply that I would be able to do any of those tricks, I am grateful, however, for a solid video of some basic ground work for me to aspire to.
  • @vatorat Too cool seeing you come out on top of that battle.
  • @BackInAction very cool. I can not remember the last time I landed a Tre flip.

@VatoRat NICE. Hope your ankles are still good after all that.
  • @VatoRat Way to stick it out - I think it's way tougher on a big board.

I have 8 setups in the garage, with the smallest being an 8" Mini Logo, up to a 9.35". Before this lockdown I almost never skated the 8". Too small. Too small a wheelbase. Now that I'm just trying flatland, It is what I pull out most of the time.

My battle yesterday was the double flip. I had these pretty regularly in 1992. Since then... not so much. I spent over an hour working on it.

I did land a better one than this, but my phone ran out of memory and didn't capture it - so this is what I ended the day with.

• edited April 2020
    Yeah, @BackInAction - Double, Double!
    And thanks for the props, guys!
  • Nice skating guys!
  • 50 second video, makes are near the end. It’s crazy how hard this stuff is, so my level of stoke is pretty high. I’ve been skating the pavement wheels in the the garage for a coupe of weeks but went to a big lot today so I could getter a longer run up (placing my feet takes time!). I brought my old setup just in case I got superstitious but I love the Pavement wheels (Monster Catcher 56mm) and never thought twice about them. I am definitely looking forward to riding them at the park when it opens.

• Glad to see you are able to get out!
    Scott
  • @helliot Yeah, I was a little worried but even as I drove there I found people everywhere. The nearby golf course was crawling with people, and there were bikers/walkers everywhere. Everyone was just spread out. I was happy to see the ramps were still in storage (in background) so no temptation there.

Looking at my post, I didn’t mean to sound like a commercial for some wheels. I like them and liked mentioning them, but then was really just trying not to make a big deal of the ollie, but I’m not lying when I say I am crazy stoked on it and need to rein myself in sometimes....so I cut my post short because it’s just an effin’ ollie right....I am probably a little *too* amped up on it and need to settle down. The reality is that I still need to pop my shuvit, kickflip, tre, invert, nose-stall-blunt whatever that thing is called, and of course get some air on a transition ramp.

The other reality is that Tony Hawk himself has ollie as “Level 1” of skateboarding, out of 21 levels I think. I discovered that after I could drop-in on a 6-footer, rock-fakie, rock and roll, axle stall, and a little axle grind on the mini-ramp. I thought, “Hey, let’s see what level Tony Hawk says I’m at”. Level 0 as it turns out. Well, now I am level 1. Sketchy level 1, but I’ll take what I can get.

I also should mention how happy I am with the Ripper deck. I thought I could only skate a Skull&Sword but I got my first ollie over an object on the Ripper deck so it totally gets points for that.

• edited April 2020
    New edit of the crap I've been doing.

• @BackInAction throwing down a Milkshake there at the end! Nice stuff.
  • @BackInAction I don't know what half of those tricks are called but you are inspirational.
  • @myren I just learned the milkshake this week. Fun one.

3/4 of the tricks are new to me - ones I never did as a kid. Lockdown has been good for my flatland game - and bad for my shoes.

720 spin
    Nollie 360 (although could be a helipop as i touch wheels too early)
    Full Cab (weak - slid it out)
    Fakie 360 shove it
    Half cab kickflip (super happy with this one)
    Shifty shove it
    Strawberry Milkshake
    Fakie shove it
    360 rock and roll
    Tail stall revert
    I don't know what this is called - fakie frontside 180 to rock and roll?
    Slappie
    Helipop
    Backside flip
    360 flip
    Double kickflip
    Fakie impossible (very poorly executed - but hey, fakie impossible)
    Another strawberry milkshake - why not?
    Fakie varial flip

• Well now I've got more stuff to work on, especially on the micro quarter. Nice, @BackInAction
  • First thing, SkateOne gave me 50 points for my b-day, thank you SkateOne!

This is my first year of thinking of my b-day as my skating anniversary. So, in skate years, I am 1 year old today. “Toddler” describes perfectly where I am at with this activity.

To celebrate one year I made another cheesy video of me toddling around the local park. After one year, I don’t think of skating the same way....initially my thoughts were very goal-oriented and I wanted as many tricks as possible at 1 year, but along the way my thinking changed to 5 years out and 10 years......

Thanks to everyone for the advice and inspiration.

• Happy Birthday Homie!