Old Ghosts

edited September 2015 in Powell-Peralta®
This is rad.  This dude made a website entirely about the Old Ghosts series skateboards.  Damn, now I want a Guardian reissue, lol...

http://www.oldghosts.net/

Comments

• I've been considering getting a Guardian reissue for some time now. I think they look great.
  • Yeah, they look tough as nails. That white dip is calling my name.
  • The top graphic on the hippy stick has always been one of my favs
    My mate had a Grigley 1 bitd, always liked the shaping of it.
  • Vision never really seemed like they got their stuff together as a company, but they had great graphics and colorways for the most part.  
  • The problem with Vision is their better skaters left early on in the piece, and they couldn't adapt...they were bLind-sided! ;-)
  • Saw that site about 2 weeks ago. I want a Guardian Pig!!!!!!!

The 2nd deck I ever had was a white Old Ghost Guardian. I remember I sold it to my friends little brother.

I have the white and  natrual Guardian re issues. They have wheel wells. I like wheel wells.

You can usually pick up the re issues fairly cheap on Amazon. That's where I got both of mine.

Nevermind. They are back up to $67. Not fairly cheap.

• What year did Vision fold? Who was still on the team? Vision made millions back in the 80s because they also made Schmitt Stix. I read recently that Luceros largest monthly deck royalty check was $15,000. Can you imagine how much Gator was making! I always liked Vision, still do.
  • Vision made some of the most iconic skateboards ever. They were really the epitome of 1980's style in a lot of ways. And just like a lot of the 80's bands, they had trouble shaking that image and stepping into the 90's.

It wasn't that their product wasn't good anymore, it was still the same great stuff. It's just that it was tailored for a certain era, and that era had passed. Tastes had changed.

But, to say that Vision "never really got their stuff together as a company" is ridiculous. That company and their riders were hugely influential on so many levels. Skating style, graphics, fashion, etc.

I was always more of a Powell Peralta guy, but I'd argue that Vision had more of an impact culturally than anybody else at the time.

And Select's reissues are killing it with the og & modern concave versions.

/Vision rant
  • edited September 2015
    Vision came across to me as a fashion brand, as opposed to a pro brand. Vision had their street wear, with graphics like the 'punk skull' on their shoes, shorts, and their decks. It was almost a form of iconography, whereas Powell Peralta had the icons...the Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero etc. If someone was asked do you remember an 80's skater, Hawk and co would be mentioned. If you asked an average Joe about a Skate brand, Vision Street Wear would be up there imo. Back to the future had McFly on a Vision deck, which by memory was Per skating. Police academy had David Spade on a pink Hawk with the Bones Brigade....both very 80's.
  • edited September 2015
    That was a Valterra skateboard in Back To The Future.  And yes, it was Per skating...
  • edited September 2015
    I didn't see the INXS covers or silly patterned parachute pants in a wholly positive light during the 80s, and I don't now, either.  That makes me ridiculous?  Okay, whatever dude.  

Anyway, there was an interview where Gonz was complaining that Vision couldn't even send their pros boards at a contest, all of the other pros were good to go, but the Vision guys had to borrow boards, which is what I meant being a sign that they "couldn't get it together as a company."  That's not my personal opinion.  

Now, as an influential fashion brand, you may have a point, they had it together, sure.  Let's all have a moment of silence for skating in painter's caps.

• edited September 2015
    There's a growing list of things that make you ridiculous.
  • edited September 2015
    That's fine with me, dude.  I'm not even mad about the lack of specificity.  
  • I know the kid is trying to bring a few eps of the show back & that they have all said they are keen to do.
    Gawd I hope it goes ahead.. nothing beats Al on a role.
    "go home Marcey, your face is annoying me"
  • That family are the most lovable arseholes ever to grace our tv screens. Al Bundy is a genius
  • Don't forget the movie "The Wizard", it was jam-packed with Vision apparel, etc.

• edited September 2015
    Looks like an ad for Vision, but poor little Tobey Maguire was left out. Guess he wasn't cool enough or a "bad boy" to wear Vision lol.

BTW that Power Glove thing was one of the dumbest gimmicks ever!
  • From Wikipedia:  "The Wizard has been called a feature-length commercial."  
  • Sweet mullets.
  • Slipster, another strong point about "Married...", Anthrax were in an episode, and played a song. Jakethesnake and Hawkhair, Toby almost looks like he has Hawkhair!
  • Haha, it's like a hockey hair hybrid.
  • I always liked seeing skateboard stuff in non-skate movies. Another good one is Encino Man, no Vision, but does have some Powell. There's a cool Powell poster on the wall and they ride a LM Family or Doughboy. I think a few random stickers as well.
  • "What we didn't quite realize was that as we grew (VSW) we were slowly disenfranchising our core audience... skaters are always going to be rooting for the new ideas... (and) turning away from all this over-hype and merchandising.  Many smaller brands learned a lot by watching the mistakes we made..." -- Eric Myer, former creative director, Vision Street Wear
  • In Big TomHanks' friend kid rides a vision too