tail bones

Comments

• edited January 2016
    @AnimalChin - Instead of inventing new wood screws for Tailbones, keep the Rat Nuts and bring them back for the Rib Bones.  I don't get this.  People love the Rat Nuts.  They're classic.  They look rad.  They work great. 

First, they took them out of the Rib Bones, now they take them out of the Tailbones?  Sometimes it really seems like they do exactly the opposite of what everybody asks for.  This is disappointing.

(If you want some honest feedback from someone who actually uses this product on a daily basis)

• Been trying but can't get rat nuts or t nuts.  You can email me your results or post them.  Appreciate the feedback!!
  • edited January 2016
    Cons:
    1) Installing required a countersink drill bit. The plastic threads were not strong enough to pull the screws down into the wood.
    2) If I decide to go back with the old style Tailbone it will require wood putty, or wood glue for the Old (T Nuts) or (Rat Nuts) due to the countersinking
    3) If you install this tailbone, and grip tape over it, you will be required to punch through the grip tape to replace the tailbone, T-Nuts do not require grip to be punched.

Pros:
    1) After completing installation the Tailbone works no different then the Original style.
    2) Mounting hole configuration & diameter are the same as original so no drilling was required other then countersinking if replacing an original.

Durability:
    The Tailbone seems to hold up just as good as the original,
    It hasn't fell off or loosened up. The plastic threads seem good enough for tail slides.

Personal comments:
    I prefer the original style over this new style, due to the extra step necessary to install this Tailbone.
    I like the T-nut assembly much better, it seems to be stronger, and looks better on top of the deck.
    T-Nuts allow you to install the taibone before gripping, and replacing the tailbone can be done without modifying the grip tape.

Ultimately you can still plug cut it and use your existing hardware T Nuts and bolts,

• edited January 2016
    My other thoughts are:
    If the price is substantially lower, One could buy T-Nuts and bolts at the local hardware store and plug cut the tailbone.
    they are not cheap!
    Although they wont be the hex style like rat nuts, and may be shiny. I can't find any hex t nuts that resemble rat nuts.

However the tailbone does work just fine.

• Wait, so the tail bone itself is threaded?

• That's how I read it too. I think.
  • no it isnt threaded atleast that i can tell on mine
  • O.K., so the tailbone isn't threaded, but the new bolts "self thread" into the plastic of the holes in the tailbone?
    I guess I understand the concept, but would never trust it myself.
    I would just drill the deck and the tail bone and attach it the old way.

When putting some old pigs together, I was in need of finding some T-bolts, bridge bolts, sex nuts, rat nuts- whatever you want to call them. Couldn't find them local. Ended up getting them through McMaster Carr Industrial supply. We order shit from them daily at work. These are just the round ones that were on every board back in the 80's. Not hex like rat nuts. I got a 50 pack for like $10 plus shipping. I cheesed out and just got the silver aluminum, but they have the black anodized ones for a couple bucks more but you only get 25.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3062/=10onz1n
    Part number 93121A330

• edited January 2016
    My tailbone appeared to be threaded, but either way, once you put the screw in it will be threaded.
    No nut. Just Screw and HDPE. Maybe it was drilled and just looked threaded. Screw went in fairly easy, but very tight.

My son rode the board with it today, and still hanging on fine.

• Haha safe search on when googling sex nuts lol
  • My Rat Stash

• 'Googling sex nuts' sounds bad enough in itself Nicky!
  • @mr_scary - what's going on in that second picture?  The one of the top of the board (grip side) showing the tops of t-nuts?  Did you  modify the new Tailbone with aftermarket hardware?  I don't understand.

The new Tailbone design basically attached like the Rib Bones, right?
  • edited January 2016
    No I had to countersink the deck.
    They are flat style screws that countersink. And screw directly into the bone, with no nuts.

Opposite of rib bones, through the deck and into the hdpe. The deck is drilled, the bone is pilot drilled
  • Thanks for clarifying.
  • Anymore news on this front?
  • i messaged my homie to come get his but he hasnt returned my message
  • if anyone wants the tailbone i got just pay me shipping(6 bucks) and ill send it to u because obviously the dude i know isnt interested
  • Why don't you trial it bb? ;-)
  • edited February 2016
    lol that would be weird and im not a fan of making holes in my board like u guys
  • You could try ;-)
  • i dont even have a drill lol
  • Tell the truth bb, you just wanted to hold a 9" tailbone in your hot little hand ;-)