What is Your Definition of a Poser?

edited December 2016 in Powell-Peralta®
In my opinion, a poser is someone who says they skate, but doesn't, wears skate clothes, but doesn't skate. Or someone who can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. Also, would a person who sucks at skating be considered a poser as long as they don't do the stuff mentioned above?

Comments

• no as long as u put in effort ur fine in my book
  • I don't think skill has anything to do with it.... it's about the passion. Just cause someone doesn't do whatever tricks are the tricks of the month... or do them well... doesn't mean shit. If they're truly down with skateboarding they're a skateboarder. An example would be someone that just wants to cruise from point A to point B... just cruise no tricks; and they fuckin love it
  • edited December 2016
    And that's the beauty of skating-it's whatever YOU make it- all the rest is cool but it's just noise. I remember watching Barbee's Ban This part on YouTube and reading the comments. A young kid was lamenting on how he wished skateboarding was still like that. I thought "then make it like that"- make your own reality
  • Honestly, I don't care about what other people do or say regarding there skills or lack of skating. I have never been that good, but it's always been a constant in my life since '87. A few guys would call me "poser" because I couldn't skate as well as them when we were kids. Nearly 30 years later, I still skate, and they don't.
  • A poseur is a real turd of a guy who shops at Zumiez/Pac Sun, likes Nyjah Houston and all the worst brands (revive, sector 9, diamond, etc.) but most importantly doesn't skate. Only because it's "cool" he goes around talking about how he "luvz gettin dem totally chill sheshs bro" when he's never stepped on a board in his life. On the other hand, say, if there's a kid who eats shit every time he steps on a board but he loves it and is in it for the fun then I wouldn't say that's a poseur at all. We all start somewhere. Nobody's Rodney Mullen the first time they hit the wood.
  • A poser doesn't have to be associated with skating to be a poser. A poser doesn't have to buy a certain product to be a poser. A poser NEEDS a mirror, an audience(whether live or electronic), and a big, deep hole within...
  • Lol! Skate or Die and 720, those are some memories!
  • They had a sequel, too. There was the regular skate version and some goofy skiing one.

The sequel also features a young Mike V up to his usual tricks...

• edited December 2016
    Somebody who says they do it but doesn't, or buys all the stuff to give the false impression that they do. Also, especially someone who mallgrabs. Total poseur.
  • What about switch mallgrabs?? Those are super sick :p
  • Lol... total Mike V
  • edited December 2016
    A poseur is someone who doesn't pay dues or skate, but wants to front the culture. It's actually pretty rare; it seems like there are more people being unfairly called poseurs because they're just starting, and that sucks, because a bunch of them get pissed off and quit.
  • What if you're broken, and still love it, but can't do it? Should I just start wearing khakis and tucked polo shirts?
  • That's dues imo, we are all limited to greater or lesser extent by injuries, as long as you are still rolling around and doing what you can, who cares.

• Yup-card has been revoked.....

Jk man, OG's are just that... OG's
  • If you mallgrab, that's one thing. If you ballgrab, that's a whole other story.
  • Switch ballgrabs are super sick.
  • It feels like a stranger is doing all the work when you go switch.
  • Poser, takes pictures holding a deck looking like he is skating, but does not even try.
    You are not a poser if you make an effort within your capabilities, and love it.

I have scares, and broken bones from skating. Nothing to serious.
    Lately I play it safe because my family depends on me to work so I can provide.
    If I get injured I make no money.

So it's really about talking shit. Not taking a shit.
  • for like 10 years I've tried to learn how to do all the cool stuff like I saw the other guys doing, but I just can't. With fear as a kid, and my bad knees now, I don't know if I ever will learn. But I always loved to get on, and just see how fast I can go. I'd like to think as long as you love it, and you have fun with it as best you can, that's not a poser.

I'm like the kid who plays little league, plays right field and can't hit a watermelon, and loves every minute of the game XD
  • If your heart's genuinely in it, you can't go wrong imo.
  • ^

Do what you love....
    ....love what you do!