Skate Progression

Comments

• A man needs his hobbies....
  • A decent one that is.
  • Just skimming over your progression, the mention of goals and guys advancing at different levels, made me wanna share my thoughts. I learned kick flips before shove its when I was 14, I think. I had a buddy that could do 360 shove its but couldn't kick flip. I never learned shove-its other than step off shove-its.(called no comply frontside shove its now- which I refuse to call it and will gladly rant on why that is wrong if anyone is interested). I wanted kick flips so I really went after them. I'm in my 40's now and I am relearning stuff. Falling came first. Riding and ollies were still there. I can land rocketed kick flips and frontside 180's but I quit trying all that stuff so much after realizing my ollies just need to be better. I can ollie knee high on a good day, but whats the point if I can't do it consistently and while rolling. Ollies while riding were kind of scary at first. But, ollieing over things helped me with that somewhat and I still am just terribly inconsistent with my ollies period. I really think that the tutorials can't stress that enough. It's all about how much time you spend on your board. I have come to the realization, that until I am comfortable ollieing while hauling ass- the Kickflips and everything else that involves some sort of landing can wait. It's just manuals, grinds, riding, ollies and slides for me. And I am having a blast. I forgot how much I loved skating. And its cool being able to out skate all the elementary kids in the neighborhood, too. They think I can shred.
    I don't have a point. No wait. I do. It's about having fun as you progress. My son beats himself up cause he can't do enough tricks. I tell him to just ride. It's fun. The tricks will come. The most enjoyable part of skating for me is being afraid of something and finally commiting and pulling it off. Nothing in the world like it.

Just ask if anyone wants my no comply trick renaming rant.
  • Woord to Big Bird.

• i can do no comply hardflips and no comply heel varials
  • I guess that's one of the biggest lessons Lance Mountain taught us Indy. Make sure to have fun while skating. If you aren't, well what's the point right? Being in an era with skateboarders doing insane flips and gaps, I tend to forget to have fun and end up getting pissed at myself for not landing a trick I'm trying to do. Hope your son takes it slow for now. I noticed that I never progress when I skate being serious and shit. You tell him that.

How old is he by the way?
  • I learned Ollie's, fakie Ollie's and switch Ollie's before pop shuvits. And I think I'm going to learn kickflips.and maybe heelflips ahead of 180s. Not sure yet. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really following g the trick ladder. Lol
  • Can you do a flat ground kick turn 360?
  • Don't they can that a tornado or something?

I did try. Most I could do so far is a 180. I could try again later.
  • I think that I would like to have both Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlet Johanson. I will not pick between the two, just give me both.
  • My son is 8. Youtube is to blame, I think, for this belief or mindset that is so common today with kids and you see it in todays skaters; that if you're not the best at something- that means you suck. It is such utter crap. To see some dude just ripping a stair set to shreds and some punk will comment, "he sucks. _____ can do that switch". Maybe it's a social media thing. It isn't about how good you are. Never has been.
    I was caught up in that too somewhat. When I was l3, it was how many boards can you ollie and What can you do off a launch ramp? And we all sucked on launch ramps. We were all early grabbing and dropping like rocks no matter how we grabbed or spun.

Noone I knew could do heel flips. Natas on video was the only heel flip I saw anyone do back then.

Speaking of no complys, The first no comply I ever saw was a picture of Natas in Thrasher, may have been Transworld, doing one and thought... that's some impossible shit. I'll never be able to do that. But was doing kick flip no complys over curbs a year or so later.

• Frontside 180s are easier than you think, maybe. The whole turning your head and shoulders, loading up and swinging your arms is important, but I think the tutorials teach it wrong. If you'll just do a frontside 180 kickturn and add the ollie to it. Quit trying to ollie and do a kick turn with your pop and drag. Then add the shoulder and arms part.
    Watch vlskate Best how to tutorials on youtube. Love that dude. He has helped me correct alot of mechanics problems I didn't have when back when I was a real skater, Lol.
  • yea in my era we didnt give a shit we just had fun
  • Mcshred: Eh. I'd pick Elizabeth over those two overrated chicks.

Indy: I thought he'd be around my age (15). In that case, you still have a lot of opportunity to teach him. Do you shred together?

Yeah thanks. I havent tried doing g that before. It should work.

When it comes to tutorials, I watch Braille. Sometimes Vlskate too.
  • I agree to a certain point @Indynocomply( ;) ).
    Our media was mags, then bones brigade vids and so on. Doing 360 kickturns like @SK8ER is saying were valid things we were doing when we first started in the early 80's. And we always pushed ourselves you know? 360...540...720 and so on. Who could do the most. Then ollies...up gutters(curbs), over boards, boards on their sides, school bins(quite a few were bent). It's just a natural progression to egg each other on and stoke when you or a mate improve. I had a BMXer hooting when he saw me land a trick the other day I was struggling on.

The problem I see is the back catalogue. When we were young it was normal to learn how to stand, carve, kick turn, tic tac etc etc.
    These days kids learn how to stand on their boards, then Ollie, then kick flip etc. The foundational sidewalk surfing crossover is no longer there, hence why many have a crappy style and struggle with stuff that we see as mandatory. And yes, their media does really push this problem, and feeds it's fire, because you will rarely see a modern vid with cuts like Lance's bits, which are fun, and we all can do a lot of. The old school vids may have had their head in the clouds, but Lance would keep their feet on the ground.

Incidentally on the fs 180 ollies...
    I recall learning them by doing fs 90 ollies onto gutters(curbs), to axle stall, as I couldn't Ollie straight on. Then I pushed further around 120, 135 until I hit 180 on flat
  • ppl definitely dont know how to have fun anymore
  • Lol First try at heelflip today and I was able to flick it properly. Landing wasn't there though. Will be skating again in a few minutes.
  • Still trying to be consistent with my Ollie's. Out of let's say 20 tries at least only 5 of those were decent. I've been doing this for almost two months now.
  • Can you do a nose manual on a non-kick nose deck?
  • edited May 2017
    When I was riding old-school setups, people would come up to me more, they are somehow more of an invitation to chat. Usually that was sort of annoying, like hipsters just wanting to say "cool cruiser!" But one day this one guy was like, let me check it out, and then busted out a 30 second Cab-style hang ten nose manual with one of those Venice Beach slow 360s at the end. Woah! This was just some dude in business shoes.
  • Rad! Maybe I should go buy some business shoes and ditch the vans!
  • Landed a kickflip today (sort of) front foot didn't land at the same time with the back door. But still. Huuuge progress man.
  • We skate together all the time. When I'm not at work and we are able to.
    You're right wake... the natural progression isn't there. When I first stood on a board, a 360 was the hardest trick we even knew about and 180's and tictacs were legit tricks. We also had never seen a skateboard magazine at that point either.

I haven't stood on my board in 2 days. Busy trying to get ready to move this weekend. Damn moving sucks. It's expensive plus it sucks.