Help with new old school setup

Hi guys,

Long story short I’m 37, used to skate the heck out my old school 10” tony hawk powell peralta deck but haven’t skated in 17 years.

I now have this burning desire to get back out there and take my daughter along for the ride, anyway I see a fire re issue of a deck I used to own which was lost in a few home moves so I will be buying this https://www.skateone.com/bones-brigade-reg-tony-hawk-10th-series-reissue-skateboard-deck-white-10-45-x-31-25

I have a few questions regarding wheels, bushings, bearings and trucks.

1. Which wheels are best for street and skate park skating? I was looking at the Bones SPF Ratz 60mm x 81b Wheels or should I get the fatter wheels like the Powell Peralta Rat Bones 60mm x 90a Blue Wheels but then there’s 95a and 85a variants and have no clue nor can remember what I used to skate on.

2. What bushings to get? Am looking at bones hardcore black bushings (medium)

3. Trucks, I was looking at the Independent Silver 169mm Stage 11 Trucks pretty sure they’re the right size for this deck

4. Barings - Bones super reds?

5. And lastly risers Ithink their called that go between the deck and the trucks to give enough height so the wheels don’t rub, what height should I get I see their are a couple of different height 1/4 and 1/8 there’s probably more but that’s all I can in the store thats available here in Australia where I live, so whch height to get?

In advance, thanks so much for any help you guys can give so I can put this beast together right.

Comments

• G'day @Danniboi , welcome to the forum fellow Aussie! I'm buying that deck too, and my personal recommendations would be as follows:-
    1. Green G Bones,
    2. If you want loose trucks go the medium, otherwise I'd recommend hard bushings,
    3. Independent 159's as the Hawk Claw is narrow where both trucks are located. Yes the deck is up to 10.5" wide just past the front truck, but you will have way too much wheel sticking out front and back with 169's,
    4. Super reds are fine,
    5. No higher than 1/8" for tight, or 1/4" for loose trucks with your risers dude!
  • @WakeInFright thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Just a question where you talk about the risers, 1/8” will make the trucks tighter is that what your’re saying? Or you just mean if I tighten the trucks themselves up then 1/8” is what I would want so the wheels dont rub the deck? But if I go the 1/4” then I can losen my trucks and they won’t rub the deck either due to the extended height of the risers? I think I understand that correctly. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Also these are the wheels you’re referring to? https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-g-bones-64mm-97a-green-4-pack Their 64mm the ones I was looking at were 60mm does that make a big difference?

Thanks again for your help dude, much appreciated.
  • edited February 2018
    Officially the Birdman rode 67mm T Bones on that deck, but since they haven't reissued them G Bones would be best. You can find the spf T Bones(P5 Bones I believe, $64 in clear and clear blue) at places like OCD but they are not true T Bones, and would rattle your knees on Aussie roads and footpaths. In regards to the riser issue, yes you are right, it's a clearance thing to prevent wheel bite!
  • @WakeInFright awesome thank so much. Out of curiousity are you putting rails on yours?
  • edited February 2018
    I won't be setting it up just yet. Probably the pink one first! Those clear and clear blue new P5 Hawk T Bones are 60mm if you are keen
  • #1 Rat Bones
    #2 Medium
    #3 Trackers-- Hawk rode Trackers, right? Pretty sure they still make 9" Trackers
    #4 Reds or Super Reds
    #5 1/2 inch or more-- if you don't have larger sizes, you can stack them
  • I have the last Claw reissue in pink and have it set up as follows:

1. Black reissue Rat Bones in 85a. These are pretty soft and smooth, but I only cruise on this on the street. I'd get something harder if I were going to be skating it at the park or doing slides.
    2. Stock bushings on Gullwings, but I ride Bones mediums on everything else (I only weight 145 lbs). I've got a set of the softs but they're too soft for me.
    3. Green Gullwing Pro III's but before I had Independent 169's. They stuck out a bit but not too much. I think Wake's right about the 159's.
    4. Bones Race Reds but any Reds are good, IMO.
    5. 1/4" riser, and I have it set up pretty loose.
  • I have the pink claw and have 1/4 risers, Indy 169’s with medium (red) doh doh’s, oj ii team rider reissues (61mm 97a) with rib bones and bones super six bearings
  • Regarding 159’s... I have a set and they felt too narrow.. 169’s seem about perfect to me
  • @Danniboi everyone above has made good suggestions. I would add that Indy 159s (stock bushings) with rat bone reissues (90a), Bones Reds, and 1/4” risers will be a really great all around skateboard for rolling around the neighborhood with your daughter and hitting parks, too. My first old school set up was exactly that when I started skating at 32 and it was fantastic. 90a is perfect for sidewalks, but it’s not too shabby in bowls, either.
  • Congrats, man, you have made a wise decision. However you decide to set it up, after you skate it for the first time, you will think to yourself, "Why didn't I decide to do this earlier?"
  • Just want to say a big thanks to everyone for your feedback and input, I just found the pink re issue hawk deck on ebay and nabbed it as well ($200 AU) probably cost a little more than it should but whatever, So I will be building that one this week.

Gonna take it into my local skate shop and see how the 159s and 169s look on it and decide from there, I will buy ratbone re issues as well some green g bones (man I wish these came in yellow :( to go with the yelow logo on the bottom)

Anyway thanks again so much, as a new guy here on these forums its great to see such a welcoming and helpfull community.

Thanks again!
  • @klayts thanks for the input man, I see a few of you saying 159s here but I always see these decks pre built or set up with 169s, apart from some small over hand does the truck width make a huge difference to the ride?

I used to ride popsical decks back in the day and could never see wheel over hang with my trucks they were always neatly tucked so I guess 159s do make sense for this board.
  • I’ll try to remember and post a pic tomorrow to hopefully give ya a view of the 169’s on it
  • I usually use bones swiss bearings, bones or indy bushings, og indy trucks (usually size 149 or 169. Anything bigger looks way too fucking goofy and I own stages between 3 and 6), santa cruz cell block riser pads, Santa Cruz OJ II's speed wheels, Powell G-Bones (since you're just getting back into it, if you wanna do street, speed wheels are your best bet since G-Bones are a huge wheel) and typically buy og rails with 4 holes (vision, ugly, schmitt, etc.).
  • Tony skated 9" Sixtracks which are very similar in width to 159's....169's are closer to 9.5"! To each their own
  • edited February 2018
    yea we arent like other forums we actually like helping ppl lol and we are pretty easy to get along with