Reissue Battle Royal

Let the big three from the mid 80’s (Powell Peralta, Santa Cruz, and Vision) battle it out over who has the best reissues. This includes decks, wheels, stickers, shirts, rails, etc...anything that has been reissued.

You must explain why your choice is supreme.

Comments

• powell because they make their stuff in the u.s.
  • edited February 2018
    Vision reissues are all made in the USA and some are hand screened. It’s a toss up for me between Powell and Vision. Powell has the best urethane, but the wood is hit or miss. All my Vision reissues have been tough, especially the stains.
  • Team Alva wasn’t that big in the 80s. Sure they were tough and cool, but so was Zorlac.
  • still waiting on the reissues from my era so cant wait to see what happens with those
  • For us down under it was Powell Peralta, Santa Cruz, Vision, and Alva! The big 4! Other stuff was like meh!
  • Battle Royal Total:
    1 for Vision
    0 for everyone else

.....and the winner is Vision!
  • I think everyone has certainly gotten better over the past few years. A Powell reissue from 2008 is drastically worse than one from today. Same for everyone else.

Powell gets my vote from the 3 above though.

Lots of smaller runs are being done, and quality has been good. The early World Industries stuff that Prime is doing is amazing. Original shapes and concave, and quality screen printed graphics - at an affordable price.
  • I personally feel anything coming out of Watson at the moment is top notch.

The prime stuff does look good as well. I was however super unimpressed with the screened version of the Natas Satan reissue. I'm thinking they probably nailed it though and the original just wasn't as detailed as my minds eye remembers.
  • edited February 2018
    Back when I was skating reissues PP was best in terms of quality, but imo that was during 2008 era Powell Classics, not actually PP. SC was not as good. Vision I don't know but Schmitt Stix was pretty bad, so ? Have a Natas reissue deck lying around not set up, idk what category that falls under but will probably be a while before it sees any action.
  • I have only skated one Select Distribution wood, and I will not select Select again!
    I have skated Powell Classic and Powell Peralta reissues and I believe Powell Peralta wear down faster, but I will still buy them. I have a couple of Watson's(Alva, Blockhead) and they look like the best!
  • My vote is for Powell Peralta. Because I think they skate great. The Vision and Santa Cruz reissue stuff I’ve had is pretty good, but nothing quite beats tearing up a pool with a McGill bottle nose on Tracker sixtracks with NOS 2 rats wheels and neon yellow rib bones!
  • The Santa Cruz Duane Peters is classic
  • And is the Santa Cruz Steve Olsen.
  • "The prime stuff does look good as well. I was however super unimpressed with the screened version of the Natas Satan reissue."

That wasn't Prime, it was Dwindle. And yes, the Dwindle reissues have been very hit or miss. The Powell spoofs were garbage.
  • edited February 2018
    No shit @cwalker3 ...

Who did dwindle use to do the screen printing? @sleepingskull you know the guys that do those garbage screen prints for paisley.

Like I said it's probably more of being spot on compared to the original screen of the graphic that was done in the skateboarding is dead times of the 90's.
  • edited February 2018
    Apologies that I didn't understand your 3rd grade level sentence structure Muddy...
  • All good Tex... crazy how it took you two posts to understand it? Seems like reading comprehension was a third grade class as well... :o
  • Settle down boys!

Skate One Forum President,
    The Farter
  • Powell have the best decks. Vision silk screen their decks (I think) but too bad they're made with new school hole pattern! That is a big no-no. Santa Cruz just use shitty sticker transfers for the graphics and not only do they have new school holes but they're also made in China. Powell's transfers aren't exactly the greatest either but the decks last long, they're made in the USA and have old school holes.

Powell and Santa Cruz both make great shirts (that are silk screened) and stickers. Both use oversized t-shirts so it's like 85-91 when dudes wore bigger shirts and not tight like nowadays or the 70's and 79-82 eras. In terms of rails and wheels, I only buy OG. I refuse to use 5 hole rails on my decks.
  • On the topic of Watson - dunno about other brands, but the H-Street decks have been a real letdown. I guess the wood is alright, but the stains are not so great. The stains look muted and sun faded. And their screening (whoever is doing that) has been really sloppy on the (premium priced) decks I've got. (3 different Hensley's - fool me once, fool me twice...what does three times mean? (I'm a sucker...))
  • I have an Alva and Blockhead and they are both natty and their screens are rad Tex!
  • edited February 2018
    It sucks to hear the H-street stuff is squeaking by with shitty screens and faded stains.

Like @WakeInFright I too have some Alva and blockhead reissues and they are on point. That being said I would put that lack of quality control back on Tony Mag. Dave from blockhead and Tony Alva must care a little more about what's going out with their name attached to it.
  • My H-Street has mis-drills as well. Like they let the intern work the drill press - the top ply was chipped out in places from drilling. Can't say I've ever seen that come through anyone's QC, let alone an 'A' series limited.