Setting up a series 12 Tony Hawk for simple skating - need help

edited February 2021 in Powell-Peralta®
I'm in my mid-40's and just got my hands on the deck. It's a blank slate! I'm looking to cruise around the neighborhood with 8 year old daughter. Looking for bigger/softer wheels for street, no tricks, just cruising. It's been so long that I am a bit lost in what size trucks I need, risers, wheels etc. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Very cool deck to cruise on! most of those BB decks are hanging on people's walls so good for you.
    On a few of my old school set ups I use Powell G-Bones. They reissued them in 4 or 5 colors and are a bigger wheel @ 65MM. They are a durometer of 97 so not as hard as the newer wheel but not soft either. Santa Cruz (OJs and Slime Balls) has tons of OG reissued wheels you can look at and those durometers vary based on what you want. With bigger wheels you will want risers for sure. I use 1/2" and then you will need 1.5" bolts.
    Trucks
    Most people I know use Indy's as their trucks (159s or 169s would be size I would go for). I, however, really like Gullwing and you can buy NOS ones all over for a reasonable amount (I replace bushings right away if I buy the trucks that are 30+ years old). They also reissue the Super Pro III's which are awesome and come in some great colorways....those are about $50-$60 a set.
    Rails are easy to get in any color you might want. Powell Rib bones are great and reissued for about $12. Reissued ones don't have the ratnuts though if that matters to you with that 'top bolt popping through look'. Tailbones I have found are tougher to get in colors other than black or white (repops) but you can get OG stuff on Ebay if you want to pay up for it.
  • would a 66mm 78a slime ball cruiser wheel be a good fit?
  • or these:

SANTA CRUZ
    Santa Cruz Slime Balls Goooberz Big Balls Wheels 65mm/97a
  • I collect wheels as another hobby and have both of those. I have never ridden the Gooberz but they look very cool. They are exact same specs (size/durometer) as G-Bones so in that case comes to look preference.
    the 66mm 78a Slime balls are a great wheel but soft... like a longboard wheel. Maybe that is a good thing for you. Would be a very comfortable ride with those but not as fast as the harder wheels.
    If you remember the Santa Cruz Scudwads from the 80's they just got reissued. They are in pink or yellow I believe but are a little smaller (60MM) and a tad softer @ 95a. I just bought some for my next set up and have not ridden them yet but think they will be great. Could probably go down to a 3/8" riser with those.
    Finding what you like and putting the set up together is a fun part of it. My advice is not to skimp on any one piece. I doubt you would because already you have a $150-$175 deck you are going to be mounting.
  • collecting wheels is a hobby I could get behind. I think the 78a slime balls maybe the ticket as I am definitely looking for the long board feel. No plans to skimp, which is why I'm here. So stoked to be even engaging in this topic. So much fun. I used slime balls all the time. I do have a 84 ripper in my closet with a set of Rat-Bones 85A re-issue from 2005. I was debating using those but kind of feel like going all new this time around. I have my slime balls on my old Natas deck too, except that is currently is a friends parents house in NJ (working on getting that back now). Thanks for the response.
  • edited February 2021
    Slime Balls will eventually start to lose chunks of the wheel if you start doing tricks or decide you want to do slides-- meaning the 78A ones, not the originals which I think were 90 or 95. Any 78A wheel will do this if you decide to start street skating instead of cruising. The Rat Bones should still be soft enough for comfort at 85A but still will be able jic you want to bust out a slide or slap a curb up. I would go with those, plus they're free and already broken in.
  • Having those OS Rat Bones will be fun to try out too. You can get a pair of new wheels and try both and see what works better for how you want to ride.
    Next post you have to show pic of that ‘84 Ripper!
  • Sweet! Tempting to ride that again I know, but you have some $$$ there!
  • edited February 2021
    I let my daughter ride it for awhile just to peak her interest. It worked. Now she has her own mini powell skull and sword. This one will end up on a wall someday.
  • Deck on the left was my early 80's Skull & Sword. Just hangs on a wall now. The newer re-issues are better to ride now anyway.
    Hope your daughter gets into riding these OS shapes, too. That is all my son's ride now at the skateparks. Fun building new completes for sure. Be sure to post what you end up building your BB12 Hawk with
  • The Skull and Sword is such an epic design. Love it. My first board was the Green and Black geegah Ripper. It’s gone in the Aether now. Wish that was still around. Grip tape on top matched the bottom. I’ll for sure post a picture and there may be a few evolutions of what goes on the Hawk in terms of wheels. I’m leaning pink slime balls but my daughter is not on board with pink, which makes me want to do it more.

• Set this up today. Went with the re-issue rat-bones that I had, some black rib bones and Indy 169 with a 1/2 inch riser. Pretty stoked - rides great so far!

• Very classy color combo. Those PP tailbones are easy to find in black (other colors not so much). Since you went with black rails that would be my only tough I would add if it were my ride. Looks great though, enjoy