Truck width for Caballero reissue

Hi all,
40 something returning to skating after a long break, mainly into cruising, carving, grinds.
I've picked up a Caballero chinese dragon reissue (closest I could find to what I rode in the late 80s) and a set of reissue Rat Bones.
My question is whether to go for Indy 159s or 169s? The "fish" shape is a fair bit narrower at the tail end so a bit wary of the 169s poking out too much, advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• 159’s. No wider.
    I saw one today with 159’s and they are perfect for it. Back in the day most skaters would magic carpet, and it wasn’t an issue....look at the pro pics from the day. These days people are obsessed with hotrodding...like I have a shaped 10” deck so I must put 169’s on it and the wheels stick out front and back!
  • Cheers,
    it's been that long that I have no memory of what was on my Caballero back then. Plus in those days I just stuck with what I got (was a gift that I loved, rode, then ultimately, sadly, neglected).
    Not into hotrodding, just want a solid oldschool setup because that's what I like to skate.
  • Actually Indy 149 works best with rat bones since they are offset. The tail on the Chinese dragon tapers in a lot....I think it’s 7 3/4” wide at the back truck holes.
  • I am riding 159's with Rat Bones and they stick out just a little on the back truck.

powells
  • Looks like 149's or some other 8.5" might be in order.
  • Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.
    That photo is really useful LittleEarth, thanks for that.
  • 149s with wide wheels is probably the way to go, but Stage 11 149s don't come with the 6 hole baseplate (and neither do forged 159s - only the standards). Aftermarket baseplates did have them - but good luck finding one.

Get thyself some stage 5-8 146s.
  • 159s, or 169s if you don't mind a little overlap--149s might do for that Cab but are too narrow most of the time, and you're going to want to try new decks without getting new trucks. Personally I prefer overlap to overhang.
  • Gullwing Superpro 3's or Street Shadows come in a 8.75" and 8.5" respectively. I have always ridden Gullwing and these reissued ones are way better than 80's version. And they both are 6-hole baseplates
  • stkstk
    edited June 2021
    Cheers all!
    Leaning towards standard 159s, I understand that with the offset rat bones this will slightly increase overall width, maybe pushing them into 169 territory..? Or maybe just go straight to the 169s and enjoy the wide load. I do prefer overlap to overhang also.

I have a Santa Cruz here (9.35") with what looks like 9" Krux on it, might wait until the Cab arrives (taking its sweet time winging its way from CA to Australia) and try those out on it to get a feel for what width would work.