Were Thrasher Issues Always a Month Early?

So I'm just looking over some back issues of Thrasher trying to piece together some shred history and it occurred to me that a lot of the events listed or releases advertised appear to be a month behind or so (e.g. one has a review for a Cure show in October even though it's the December issue). Since the beginning of time, it's been common for magazines to date things in advance to help sales (comic books used to go 3/4 months early in the 80's!) and I know nowadays current Thrasher issues tend to hit the stands a month early (the June issue is already out) but, say, if I'm reading an 80's issue like something dated "October 1986", wouldn't it technically be September 1986? Was this the case back then, too?

Comments

• Good question
  • Not sure about Thrasher, but I know Skatin' Life used to do this. I remember because it was the first time I'd noticed magazines doing that. So Thrasher probably did the same.
  • about all magazines are a month early
  • I'd say magazines in general have been releasing their issues early for a number of decades, which means skate mags have probably always done it.
  • It does make more sense. Wouldn't this also mean Thrasher actually came out in December 1980, rather than January 1981?
  • well that depends on when the company actually started not when the first mag was released
  • That's true but Thrasher's always listed as "founded in 1981" or "since 1981" -- since they're always a month ahead, that means the company started in '80 and the first issue would December 1980 unless they changed their schedule later (though I doubt it).
  • Who cares! Once Jake Phelps took over the magazine from Kevin Thatcher it has sucked!
  • edited May 2017
    The best Thrashers came out 85-90! But like most things nowadays, Thrasher got super gay.
  • Yeah... the Phelper is kinda bunk. He's should've just stuck with the product review articles
  • edited May 2017
    what is interesting is i looked at their archive and in 82 they had a double month issue (may/june) and they did something similar again in 86 http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/covers/covers-index/#1981
  • Yeah, that's odd. In 82 it's because they did too many drugs and missed production but I have no idea what's up with 86.
  • Skateboarding was so badass in 1986 they had to do double issues. ;)
  • That's true. 1986 is one of the greatest years of all time.
  • edited May 2017
    September 1987 was my first issue. I think it is still at my folks house somewhere.

• That cover should be on a shirt! Too cool!
  • Pretty rad!
  • I miss old Thrasher.. bring back KT
  • Here's a video from June 2014 with Lance Mountain reading the July 2014 issue.

Thrasher is pretty shitty nowadays but seeing Lance read it is still funny.