new insurance company for skating etc

edited December 2019 in Powell-Peralta®

Attention adventurers: You no longer have to choose between eating/paying rent and having health insurance. Spot, a new insurance company, this week announced subscription-model accident insurance that covers out-of-pocket expenses — including high deductibles for major medical policies — that looks easy and affordable.

For $20 a month, the plan covers up to $20,000 in out-of-pocket medical expenses for injuries as well as $50,000 to your heirs in case of death or loss of limb. Signing up takes under 90 seconds online and only requires a birth date and home address, which hopefully for you is in one of the 17 states where Spot is currently available.

“When we set out to create Spot, we asked ourselves, ‘What would it look like if Red Bull and GoPro created an insurance company?’” CEO Matt Randall said.

“After seeing many close friends struggle with medical bills, we created what we believe is the most affordable and targeted product for our generation. Most importantly, we want to encourage people to live life to the fullest, and I would argue we are the only company in the insurance space that would stand behind that claim!”

Spot is the first company to create an injury insurance subscription that covers thousands of adventure activities at such a low price. It aims to relieve hikers, climbers, bikers, and others from worrying about friends having to set up a GoFundMe campaign should they break their neck, tear an ACL, or suffer a wild boar attack.

With Spot, every accident is reimbursable up to $20,000. So whether the boar attacks this week or the ACL tears next week, Spot will cover it to $20,000. Although the policy covers most activities you can think of, some especially risky pursuits — like parasailing, skydiving, squirrel suiting, drag racing, piloting a plane, and anything illegal or under the influence of drugs — aren’t covered.

Comments

• I predict SPOT is bankrupt in 2 weeks. Who wants to insure accident prone dudes?
  • I have a friend who is self-employed who just messed his foot and ankle up pretty badly skating. He does reasonably well, but now he's laid up for a while with some crazy medical bills (because there are no other kind of medical bills in the US). I dunno how many skateboarders would avail themselves of something like this, but it seems like a good idea to me whether you're otherwise insured or not.
  • Damn! They had me right up until the last line “....anything illegal or under the influence of drugs - aren’t covered.” Another typical insurance company that doesn’t cover either of my favorite general activities. Grrrrr!
  • lol doh and they already got 2 team riders
  • hey thanks for the heads up about this @brigade_bill - I'm def gonna check into it. Broke my wrist last december and will be paying for it forever, still don't have insurance, and when I look at plans, nothing seems appealing, as in, "injuries from surf, skate, snow..." thanks again man! :)
  • edited December 2019
    no prob man i was reading up on the site yesterday and they have this one surfer chick sponsored and she was surfing in a contest and knocked some of her teeth out and had to get dentures and they paid for it all