Opinions on Mini Logo products?

So I'm about to get my first skateboard and been looking at the prices in German online skate shops to get an idea of how much I'll have to spend.

What surprised me is that almost every online shop sells Mini Logo decks and wheels, but...what's the deal with Mini Logo? They get pretty good ratings even though they're really cheap, much cheaper than all other products. I know that they're less expensive because they don't use and graphics, only their, well, mini logos (hah). But that can't be everything, right? Are Mini Logo products in fact good quality, or only good quality for such a low price?

Comments

• You're getting a biased sample set on this forum, but yeah, they are. The last Mini Logo deck I had was back in like 2002 but in the last couple of years I've had the trucks and the wheels and have been happy with both. I see the wheels out in the wild all the time. I think the philosophy is meet at the uppermost intersection of functionality and affordability, which they must do well because people shred the stuff as much as anything else.
  • i used to ride the shit out of minilogo stuff back in the day but the brand is made in china now which is very unfortunate but if ur price conscious then i guess u will be alright i havent skated minilogo stuff since the move to china but the wheels are still made in the u.s. so they still have great quality wheels
  • Aren't most trucks made in China these days?
  • edited April 2020
    yep i believe tracker is the last full american truck company left everyone else uses china parts or is manufactured in china
  • Mini-Logo stuff is GREAT. Their 54mm 95a wheels are my favorite thing.
  • I thought Thunder was a holdout and hadn't gone Chinese yet, but I guess not. Indy went, what, two years ago? I have been skating Aces more than anything else, and I think they've always been Chinese made.
  • edited April 2020
    China is bad. USA companies production should have never gone over to China. Americans would have paid more for products to keep the work and factories alive in America.
  • yea ace has always been done in china
  • How about Grindking?
  • their ads used to say made in the usa so no idea about now but id like to try them
  • I wonder what prices would have to be today for the big brands to have stayed manufactured in the US, and whether or not enough skaters would pay those prices. I'd prefer US made myself, for a few reasons, but if they can't sell them at that price then I'd rather have Chinese made Indy's, Thunders, et al than none.
  • Imo one of the dangers of our economies has been the shift to a throwaway society where everything is cheap and easily discarded, because to fix it would be economically unviable. In the past a new car was about 25% of the value of a new house, and it would constantly be fixed and last for ages, retaining a fair value for quite a period. Fast forward 50 years a car is 10% of the value of a new house, and realistically only of any value for 3-5 years before it starts to fall apart. TV’s and other electronic goods are the same....they were dearer, but serviceable. There was employment in manufacturing, retail, and repair...now it is retail and waste. Have a look at how much waste the US produces each year per capita, compared to the 50’s and 60’s. We have been tricked into buy buy buy, rather than buy fix fix. Homes are an example of buy fix fix, hence the ability to retain value because they are of worth!
  • yep i use my stuff until it cant be used anymore then recycle it
  • Imo one of the dangers of our economies has been the shift to a throwaway society where everything is cheap and easily discarded, because to fix it would be economically unviable. In the past a new car was about 25% of the value of a new house, and it would constantly be fixed and last for ages, retaining a fair value for quite a period. Fast forward 50 years a car is 10% of the value routerlogin of a new house, and realistically only of any value for 3-5 years before it starts to fall apart. TV’s and other electronic goods are the same....they were dearer, but serviceable. There was empl 192.168.0.1 oyment in manufacturing, retail, and repair...now it is retail and waste. Have a look at how much waste the US produces each year per capita, compared to the 50’s and 60’s. We have been tricked into buy buy buy, rather than buy fix fix. Homes are an example of buy fix fix, hence the ability to retain value because they are of worth!

thankyou!!
  • edited May 2020
    Has anyone on here skated both Mini Logo and the same shape in a newer made in China Powell deck?

I am curious if Powell branded ones are using better wood or glue, or if they are the same quality as Mini Logo with different graphics and more layers of stained wood.

I have been skating a Mini Logo pretty heavily since lockdown and have really started to like the shape. I need a new one and am wondering if it is worth getting the Powell. I don't think I'm needing a Flight one as I don't snap boards, but do skate on crappy pavement and wear down the tail/nose.

And if the Powell is better quality - I'm assuming that the completes use the "price point" wood. Anyone know? @AnimalChin?
  • the thing about china wood is that no matter what wood is used it takes about a month to travel to the u.s. so it sits on the ocean for a good amount of time so it becomes soggy etc so it lowers the quality no matter what and yes the completes are also done in china
  • I can’t tell a difference in the durability of the PP China pops and the ML China pops. Visually the PP look better, they have a top stained ply.
  • all pp pops are done in china except the flight decks but basically if u skated one china deck u skated them all
  • Just bought a Mini Logo deck for my son because it was the only 7.75" in the shop at the time. He skates street, ramps and park pools (when they were open) with no issues in terms of pop, feel, etc. Durability also seems to be on par with other deck manufacturers. I don't have a problem with manufacturing offshore per se but at the moment I'm not too hyped on 'Made in China'. For a lot of people price is a make-or-break deal so I don't knock anyone buying a less expensive offshore product and Mini Logo products definitely seem legit. That said, given the option I would..and will...pay a more for U.S. manufactured products. Only problem? The options are getting slimmer every year.
  • edited May 2020
    well hey i got a bunch of 7.75 decks i even got one already gripped so if u live in the u.s. and want to get it give me a holler i got a few of them and usa made
  • I wonder if PP will start pressing pops in the US again.
  • edited October 2020
    My Mini Logo boards I've had were sick. Great shape, very size accurate (I notice sometimes not all companies are super accurate to their deck's sizes), and overall really good quality. I noticed that my Mini Logo boards took noticeably longer to razor tail, and they took forever to chip shareit vidmate

• I have to agree with RedLion on this one! Great shape, size and feel every time. I have had more than one Mini logo deck and they have always outlasted everything else I've had.
  • Honestly, the Minilogo AWOL 63MM wheels are an absolute favorite of mine these days. I prefer them over Rat Bones, Slimeballs, etc. Really great wheel.