A Consideration for SkateOne regarding “Powell Classic” decks

As an avid fan and supporter of Powell Peralta from its earliest days I can’t tell you how happy I am to see Stacy back in the picture at SkateOne. As a kid I purchased only Powell Peralta products religiously!! The only equipment that I purchased that wasn’t P-P was Indy trucks. I followed P-P well into the “dark” time of skateboarding (mid 90’s) until life took me in other directions. In 2000, I reconnected with my passion; once again loyal to the SkateOne product lines.

Since 2000, I have continued to skate and share stories of the “glory days” of the sport and brigade with my friends and kids. Over the past eight years I have purchased hundreds of decks and countless soft goods, banners, stickers, videos and whatever I could get me hands on to both show my support by skating and wearing the products to stuffing some away for display and future use.

I am sure that SkateOne understands that a fair amount of their products (namely decks) are never put into street combat and dressed in grip tape and trucks. They are kept safely in storage or displayed with care to remind us of the time that was. Over the last eight years my collection has amassed to over 300 decks where 50 (most of which are originals) are displayed around the house for all to enjoy. In fact, taking our younger kids (3 and younger) around to look at each deck has been a great way to calm them down when they seem miserable and out of control. And yes everyone receives a brand new skateable full setup on their first birthday.

Before I make my point, I want to thank SOC for their consistent attitude towards the concept of re-issuing their products that were so popular during the 70s and 80’s. Unlike other skate “companies” in the industry, SOC has maintained the integrity of the artwork and associated skater by not simply dumping the skaters name on the design to make a buck. As we are all baiting our lips at the possibility of a SOC release of a Guerrero, Hawk, Mullen, Welinder and so-on, SOC has not “sold out” as others have.

With that being said I hope SOC will take into consideration the loyal followers through the Powell and Powell Classic years while re-issues were created under those labels. As I see the shift of product moving to the Powell Peralta line (which is great) I can’t help but think of how this affects the 75+ Powell and Powell Classic decks and countless other goods I have set aside for my personal collection. I have noticed the latest Powell Classic product are simply being reproduced in the same colorway with the addition of “Peralta.”

As Powell Peralta continues to release products that were previously released in the same colorway as “Powell” or “Powell Classic” items, the collectability and uniqueness of the previous items are lost. I guess I am asking for SOC to take into consideration the history of each colorway before releasing them under the Powell Peralta product line.

Continued support-

tweets-

Comments

• Very good point tweet's. I totally agree.
  • edited February 2009
    well.... that was a great statement you made...but i guess im not exactly clear as to what it is you are "asking for "in specific ".. taking into consideration the past colorways for the future of the newly established "powell peralta" line?
    they are...im sure of that. but what colorways actualy get produced are mostly decided by the "art dept" (jesse correct me if im wrong*) we have all asked at different times and in different ways for certain colorways for certain decks. specific graphics, wheel wells, full dipped decks etc... i am a traditionalist and like to see everything as close to possible as it was when it was first released, be that 70's 80's etc... but, cost is a factor in the production and not to mention demand. im not real happy however and somewhat agree..as you stated about having something now that is not so.. special anymore.. such as i have stocked up on mike v elephant decks.. only to now have them done more acurately and more period correct then they were. makes the ones i own less.... desireable. but.. in the end.. it is what we have been asking for.. and we got it. alot of people wanted to see this trasition of eliminating "classic" and having everything "powell peralta" this is just one of the drawbacks to that progression...my point is... if enough people ask for something "specific" it will most likely get attention and seriosly considered.. (i.e the snakeskin petition) they havent agreed to make that deck yet but it at least went from hey wouldnt it be cool.. to.. a decent list of names..and... to now..a good possiblity it may happen in the future we are considering it. "the squeaky bearing gets the speed cream"

good post tweets.
  • Your right as well Nick. "alot of people wanted to see this trasition of eliminating "classic" and having everything "powell peralta" this is just one of the drawbacks to that progression...my point is... if enough people ask for something "specific" it will most likely get attention and seriosly considered."
    Like Nick said, this is just on of the thing's that has to happen, I am sure those Powell classic's will valuable in the future Tweet's. I'm thinking of the future now, of what Powell Peralta are gonna give us in the like's of Deck',wheel's
    clothe's and gear.
  • a branch from the sadlands trees with every order and some leaves for orders 100 dollars and over
  • edited February 2009
    yup
  • "I have noticed the latest Powell Classic product are simply being reproduced in the same colorway with the addition of “Peralta.”"

that is not true. all of our classic line with the change in name will also receive a color change as well. i will list the color changes so there is no confusion. you can also view them on this website if you would like under Powell Peralta decks.

Powell Classic to Peralta Color ways:

Vallely Elephant: From Red to Silver
    Vallely Reject: From Lime Green to Blue
    Steadham Spade: from Gold and Purple to Orange and Black
    Vato Rat: from black and red to blue and red
    pool light rippers stay the same as does the Graff ripper.
    skull and sword: from black to cream/white
    Hot rod flames: from color changing green gold to purple with lime pin stripe
    Classic Ripper: from white and black to olive and black

as for the future colors, i am sure the art department will do their best to not issue anything that has already been done under another name.

thank you Tweets for your insight and care for what would be best for the company. its always nice to see the supporters/ fans/ skaters looking out for the company.
  • Thanks for the info SOC.

I think the move to Powell Peralta is great and I'm very excited for the new products. I realize that any change has +'s and -'s

The Vallely looks White on the site and I guess I just wanted to throw the thought out there. The move back to "BONES" on Ripper soft goods is also fantastic.

Hopefully Stacy's return will trigger a ton of new/old 80's Powell Peralta gear.

Thanks
  • "Hopefully Stacy's return will trigger a ton of new/old 80's Powell Peralta gear."

yea that would be pretty rad. as long as puff paint stays in the 80's haha
This discussion has been closed.