Skull and sword 58mm 90a

My 58mm spf's are great, but i'm limited to the concrete park with them. The path to the park is chattering vibrating mess. I'm looking for a wheel that will be good all around wether i want to sesh a parking lot or the concrete park. I have some black 85a rat bones reissues but find them a bit wide for my set-up and a bit slow. Kinda liking the narrower wheel. I'm leaning toward the 58mm skull and swords but also wondering if that may be just as soft as my rat bones. Back in the day, i had 95a t-bones which seemed pretty good all around. What are my options in a 58mm range and no wider than 40mm? 92a ricta clouds was another thought.

Comments

• I haven't used them, but maybe OJ Mini Combos? Only 56, but 37 wide. 95a.

https://www.tactics.com/oj/mini-elite-combo-skateboard-wheels/orange-95a
  • @BackInAction those look promising... reading the comments i agree with the guy who said i wish they made them in 58mm
  • Mini Logo makes 58mm 90a as well - cheaper than the Skull and Sword

https://www.tactics.com/mini-logo/hybrid-a-cut-skateboard-wheels/white-2017-90a
  • The S&S 58mm 90a is my favorite modern wheel shape, size, and hardness. The ML version is treaded. Both wheels are versatile, but obviously slower than SPFs on smooth crete.
  • Has anyone tried type-s wheels 58mm 96a?
  • Has anyone found a wheel like DTF that sounded perfect, but discontinued
  • ill sell u a set of dtfs for 10 billion dollars mwahahahahahahahahaha
  • Oh man! Could you? I may be a bit short though
  • edited February 2018
    ok $99999999999999999999999999
  • In Vietnamese Dong? Or Canadian tire money?
  • @brigade_bill i'm taking that as a no, you don't want to give them up
  • edited February 2018
    yea sorry id never get rid of any skate one stuff lol but go to my wall because i believe i found a set for u
  • DTF was a great wheel, but would not slide. Like dangerous grip - sometime you gotta slide to survive!

Have you tried STF? They are not as hard as SPF. Honestly it’s the best formula in the business.
  • I haven't tried stf.. am curious but how different can they be at 103a to 104a
  • It’s surprsingly a lot different. I reckon that the formula is different, not just the durometer. They are by no means soft, but handle street terrain very well.
  • The stf only go up to 56mm. The 58mm have been discontinued.... while i'm debating trying some 56mm out, i seem to be getting further away from my original intention.
    A 58mm wheel with a goldilocks duro and a narrow profile is what i'm after.
  • @cwalker3 When you say that STF is the best, do you mean in general or are you referring to park/bowl skating as opposed to SPF's? The only STF's I have are small and narrow and are on a setup I only use in my driveway (which sucks, because it's rough as hell). I would never skate them at the park. For the bowl I went from some 99a Spitfires to some Bones Clears and haven't looked back, but they rattle my teeth out if I skate it them anywhere else.
  • edited February 2018
    u wouldnt have wanted my dtfs anyway they are 62mm oh and i make slim 58s but they are 101a
  • Just get the Skull and Sword and go from there. If they are too soft or too slow, get some OJs that are 95a. I personally can’t skate anything harder than 97a. All the 99a, 100a, b scale...I can’t tell the difference they are just too damn hard and only good on new or well maintained smooth Crete.
  • STF's are the best all-purpose wheel for me. I use them everywhere. V4 for transition, V3 for not. I hate SPF - too clunky and hard.
  • edited February 2018
    I have SPF, two shapes of STF, two shapes of Formula Four 99s, Formula Four 101s, and some others I don't ever skate anymore including Mini Logo A cut 101 and Spitfire F1 99s. I use Mini Rat 90a on my town board, and ATF 80s on my longboard townie.

Love the 90a to cruise the alleys, but no way would I take them in a skatepark. Too damn slow.

I skate almost exclusively in smooth concrete skateparks or on ramps.

STF is my favorite compound. It is fast and the slide is predictable for me - I know when it is coming, and it slides great when I want it to. I have never flatspotted one. It is a bit hard on rough pavement. I have used V1 and V5 and like V5 better. I'd like to try V2.

SPF is fast and grippy on concrete - not so much on masonite. It's a good compound for pools, but I don't get a good slide if I'm skating a concrete mini and want to do a revert, or if I want to boardslide. I have gotten flatspots by hitting pebbles in the bottom of a pool.

Formula Four 101s are my most recent purchase, and I have the Lock-Ins shape. Best. Shape. Ever. I have only skated them a couple times so I don't know how I rank them in different conditions, but the shape really helps me on grinds. Speed is right up there with SPF/STF. I did flat spot one 30 minutes after buying them on a masonite mini ramp. It was a small one and after two more sessions has started to go away. Another week or so and I should be fine.

Formula Four 99s are just not fast enough in the skatepark compared to the other wheels. I really notice the difference. That being said, they are grippy. I have heard at certain really slick parks - like WJ in Eugene - that everyone rides these because anything harder is death. They are also more comfortable on actual street. I was happy with these in bowls until I tried SPFs and realized how much a difference fast wheels actually made. Ignorance is bliss.

• I just switched from my 83b powerflex gumballs 56, very good and fast wheels, but only on smooth concrete to mini logos hybrid 100 58mm. Gave them a try and found out, that will be my wheel. They are still sliding a bit but are rolling like butter over rough concrete and tarmac. And, on rough concrete they are surprisingly faster than my powerflexes. They just seem to be slower, because there is no rattle anymore. So mini logos 90/58mm or skull and sword are the perfect hybrid wheels, I guess, they are almost identical (skate-one), ml cost alf without the graphics. Interesting fact, I mounted them, because I rode a wooden bowl which was too slippy for my old bones and my 83b wheels ;)
  • Maybe the Rainskates 98a 57s?
  • Bombers for everything