Deck Twisting - Is Anything Being Done?

I made a post in September about the newer manufacturing process, of cranking out thinner reissue boards. It seems that it's still the preferred process. I experience a more-than 50% "twist rate" for these new boards. It looks terrible, and it makes the board steer to one side. I've been a customer for about 35 years - I have well over 300 reissue boards from the past 15 years. I usually buy about 12 a year - yeah, I have (well, -had-) a problem.

These twisted boards - at a quite high price, mind you - are just not a smart purchase.

Is anything going to be done about this?

Comments

• edited April 2023
    FWIW, about half of the decks I've bought since 2021 have twisted. Out of 270 decks or so, bought prior to 2021 - exactly 2 twisted. All stored in a similar manner.
  • edited April 2023
    those trucks are crooked too
  • Right, the trucks are the problem. :neutral:
  • lol well i never said that
  • Where are these reissues made @cwalker3? I have a Bucky Stadium that is Mexican, and thin, but no twist. I have thin, Mexican decks from other manufacturers that don’t twist either.
  • I actually don't recall where it was made. What I can say for certain though, is that the new thinner boards are twisting at an alarming rate. Maybe that's indeed a correlation to country, and the process is a coincidence - I dunno.
  • if it is a recent reissue then probably mexico
  • edited April 2023
    That Welinder is from 2019, IIRC. So I have my dates wrong above - I guess the thin stuff started getting made around 2019.

I have 3 Bucky's, all bought at different times.

1 is thick, made in the USA.
    1 is thick, made in Mexico.
    1 is thin, made in Mexico.

Only the thin made in Mexico twisted.
  • People on other forums have tried to say it's the weather, humidity, how I store them, etc. I store everything the exact same way, in the exact same place. Only the thin boards twist at such a high rate.
  • interesting stuff
  • A lot of the BBS were/are reported as twisting too, and most are US made, and thick. I have suggested that it may have something to do with the AirLam system, because I remember when it was first introduced it being said (whether it was on video or in print I can’t remember) to expect minor twists, to avoid plys from being excessively pressed together which resulted in internal manufacturing stresses and fractures by the the old pressing method. How hard I have tried, I cannot find that disclaimer about twists and the AirLam system anymore.
  • I have probably 60% of the Bones Brigade reissues. I don't think any of them have twisted. I did, however, avoid the most recent series.
  • Definitely more of the later series (11/12).
  • maybe call vanilla ice because if u got a problem yo! he can solve it!
  • Nah, I buy the Dragons. I love them.
  • No one else having this problem?
  • I buy 2 or 3 PP reissues a year and haven’t had any issues with twisting. I don’t collect….I ride!
  • Congratulations, I ride too. This board rides me to the right, as the trucks twist.

@AnimalChin - I see complaints all over social media. Are you guys doing anything to address this?
  • I believe PP and other companies cut corners on reissues, use inferior wood, fewer layers, etc. b/c it's a small overall market and many of them don't even wind up being skated. I rode this hobby horse into this chat and will ride or die on it. So, this is not an indictment of anyone or an excuse for PP cutting corners.

BUT, just as a word to the wise, according to Paul Schmitt, you're supposed to store boards stacked on top of each other, wheels up, so that they "nest" with each other, and this supposedly is the best way to avoid warp/twist. When he told this to the 9 Club, most of the hosts you could tell thought he was talking BS. "Wheels up? Flat on the ground? What about the concave?" However, I believe him, and have started storing my boards this way.
  • edited July 2023
    @cwalker3
    Not sure why you took offense by me saying that I don’t collect…I ride.
  • I didn’t take offense. But also don’t see why you feel the need to tell me (twice) that you ride your toys. I do too. Again - congratulations, well done!