Top selling decks past and present

edited March 2012 in Powell-Peralta®
Anyone know what the all time top selling Powell Peralta deck is?   What is the current top selling deck?  Currently I would have to guess one of the Cab reissues.

Comments

• Good question, I'd love to know myself.

I'm going to limb it, but I would say graphic wise....Hawk chicken skull will be #1, and Lance Mountain FP will be #2....and Vallely will be #3.
  • id probably say the ripper or that mcgill skull snake cause that board was all over 80s movies
  • Did more people buy decks in the 80's or 90's?

This is something Ive always wondered
  • Yet another great question.  Assuming you mean PP decks, I would say 80s just because there were less companies and the 90s brought about a backlash against "larger" companies like PP. 

Figure the 80s had PP,Vision, Santa Cruz, Schmitt, Sims, Hosoi, Dog Town...and a few others.  But the big companies were Santa Cruz, PP, and Vision.....the other companies had fewer pro models and a few of them were more niche companies.  I always looked at Hosoi and Lake as companies that only catered to a few skaters due to the shapes.  Skate shops were dominated by PP and Vision.  Once the 90s came around so many more companies showed up, SMA and all their sub companies, H-Street, and so on.  There were more choices in the 90s.  When World went ape shit against PP and Vision, they were looked down on by the new breed of skater.  The whole sport changed.  I look at 80s skating and 90s skating as two complete different mentalities.  In the 80s it was all about freedom, pushing one another.  Being a skater was like being part of a special group.  You would leave your local spot and venture into other areas, meet up with those locals and skate together.  Pointing out good spots, just being part of it all.  In the 90s it took a strange turn where instead of being part of the same community, there was just a nasty vibe.  It was more about pulling the radest trick and showing everybody else that you were better.  More people put focus on what you skated, how you skated, as opposed to the 80s where it didn't matter....you were a fellow skater.

Maybe Cali was different, but in South Florida, it was such an awesome vibe in the 80s.  I loved skating with people from other areas, and I loved skating in other spots.  Meeting new people, learning from each other, and just having a good time.  All of a sudden the skaters got younger and much cockier.  Just a different feel.
  • Sorry....I ranted again.  I really need to work on that.
  • Nah Chris, you hit the nail on the head mate. There's alot of young skaters these days at parks who think they're the shit. I feel sorry for them in a way. They never got to experience the late 80's vibe, like Chris is explaining....poor barstads!

• I would say the 80's sold more decks.  In The Skateboard Mag #90 (the Cab milestone issue) Cab says he got a dollar for every deck sold and in 87 he made $250,000 on deck sales. 
  • A single dollar?  Wow. 

• yep that is how board royalties work some worse than others
  • I like reading your rants chris.. rant on!
    The only thing I would add is that Alva was also one of the big names
    & that vallely musta got 8c per deck.. why else would he spew as much haha

• agreed 100% with the rant
  • I disagree with Chris and the 80's - I think it must be a regional thing.  Up here in the northeast, it was always the 'go home, locals only' mentality.  I gave my share of shit, and took it as well.
  • I think that's generally a Northeast thing for all walks of life. I was born and raised South Shore MA, and frequently go home, visit family, friends, go to games and just hang out. When whipping out my FL license to get into any of the local bars (not the touristy places) I get that "fucking outsider" look.
  • "go back to the valley man.."

Many places on this planet suffer from this. Manly locals used to tell us to zip off from the Curl Park ramp, we never did though. They were the usual gay grommits trying to look cool, yet never followed through
  • I agree with Chris' take on it. The 80s were the best. Kinda like what the 60s were for music, I feel the 80s were for skating. It felt like a brotherhood when i grew up in Houston. Like we owned that neighborhood and we were always happy just riding around with not a care about. Staying out late in the dark at shopping strips. Good times. Also the joy of seeing friends buy a new deck. Kinda like the new hot girl in school. "Wow! Check her out!" haha
  • I remember a buddy of mine back in the day, when he would get a new deck he would use model paint to touch up any scratches in the graphic after a day of skating....it was funny in a sad sort of way.  I was the opposite, I couldn't wait to throw down my first rail slide on a new deck.  I would judge my first day on a new deck by how fucked up the graphic was after I called it a day.  That's why I loved clear grip, throw down some stickers and customize the top...knowing the bottom would be screwed after a day, and unrecognizable after a week.

That's why I wish they would release older shapes on blank decks.  Today, I don't like destroying classic graphics.  That's why I buy 2.  One to skate, and one to hang.
  • Chris, you have a great idea with the blank classic decks.  They could be called Mini Logo Classics.  
  • Any word on any new designs? Maybe a new Per Welinder reissue? Or Mullen?  
  • I dont suppose there is a register of some sort that shows year on year, each model of each brand & what the total sales figures for those are?