Caballero Moto crash. Broken femur.

Comments

• @dofrenzy How big is your Golden Dragon? It looks like most of them are under 8". While pig shaped boards are on the big (and flat) side, you really could benefit from something in the 8.25"-8.75" range.
  • @BackInAction I'll check the measurements tonight. I know that my Golden Dragon board is shorter than my Skull and Snake board, but not sure of width ( I think both boards are about 8" wide). However, I *truly* appreciate your advice here. I am about 6 feet tall, and my shoe size is about 10.5. I hope to get some ground tricks down and I like ramps too. I feel a little bad hijacking this Caballero thread though! I watched the Bones Brigade video a few days ago. PHENOMENAL. I went poking around on Facebook afterward, and found Cab's page with dirt-bike videos. DIRT BIKES. I thought I was pushing it on a 4-foot ramp with a skateboard!!!!
  • @BackInAction
    Calling my opinion wrong would be like me telling you what you prefer is wrong...it’s all skateboarding and all that matters is if you are having fun.

The SP3 concave is far from flat and it really locks your feet in while skating bowls and it’s enough concave where slapping curbs and popping Ollie’s and boneless’ are tight! I could careless about tech and flip tricks...
  • @ovaldragon I’m sorry I didn’t get to respond to you earlier. I do appreciate your advice and I am definitely thinking about a pig style board now. What I am learning right now is that my boards might be too narrow. The Golden Dragon is ~7.6” and the Skull and Sword is just under 8”. Maybe something a bit wider would be more stable? Should I start another thread for my newbie questions?
  • ur on the right track stick with what u have and just keep practicing
  • edited June 2019
    As a newb, width probably wont help until you're a little bit more proficient, just wait a few months.

After stage1 ability is learnt then go wider 4 sure, unless you're a total tech ninja
  • edited June 2019
    @dofrenzy
    My comment was in regards to @BackInAction saying that reissues and Rat Bones are no good.

I love talking about skateboarding and am happy to help.
  • I seem to be the only one on the internets promoting the use of low skateboards [low trucks and small wheels] as opposed to tall skateboards, for learners,, especially shorter learners with shorter legs, but all stage1 learners 4sure. Bigger wheels with a faster roll and higher ground clearance has little benefit for a stage1 learner.
    Thin vulcanized soles are good too for bringing you center of balance downward
  • edited June 2019
    @Wheelbyte
    I agree...I bought my 3yo son a 7.5” pop with low Mini Logo trucks and some soft 53mm wheels. He loves it! I’m 46 and find the “old school” stuff perfect for me. From the age of 25 until I turned 41 I skated 8.5” and 9” pops with 54mm or 56mm modern wheels. I use to have more time and energy to progress as a skater. Now I focus on the progress of my kids as skaters and I just have fun in the bowl doing some slash grinds and 50-50’s, As I get older grinding the curb in front of my house is the best thing in the world....no annoying scooter kids....and I can skate my curb late at night after the kids are asleep....skateparks around me aren’t lighted at night.
  • edited June 2019
    @ovaldragon
    If you want to handle noisy kid infested skate parks,, yangifying ones life can increase tolerance and improve brain functioning in noisy busy environments...

I started skating at 55 after 43 yrs off skateboards, and that was just very part time kid stuff. I'm a bit autistic,, so Mullen like I have approached the nuances of older skateboarders learning from a scientific perspective,, in between having a tug and a nap and sitting on the sofa in front of the TV with a blanky on my knees, in my olde age.

For me lately, my focus has shifted from equipement to the implications of martial arts techniques when skating. Specifically balance and bringing consciousness from the head and heart and into the hips, minimal effort and diet. Recently I have partially focused on a yang diet, and seen its benefits first hand to help combat Aucklands wet and cold winter weather.

I think I am about to go full ninja on diet and lifestyle habits.

Kids are typically yang esp compared to most adults. Luan Olivera with his fast paced runs operates on a higher yang expression than most other skaters, Mullen maintains a yang expression too, which has 'under-girded' his long term sporting and business success.

Being on dry concrete out in the sun also improves yang expression, which is why some skaters develop a harsh anti kook [yin disorder] disposition,, and why some skaters have problems with psychotic behaviors. Excess yang disorders often manifests as psychosis. Kookiness is a yin disorder.

However like Ayurveda and balancing the doshas,, the balancing of yin and yang is the golden elixir where the water dragons and the fire dragons dwell in perfect harmony.

Cool but warm.
  • hellooooooooooooooooo are u forgetting i ride 7.5s and 7.6s and my shoe size is a 10.5 as well
  • Cannabis and alcohol promotes a temporary or false yang, which ends up the next day as a yin disorder,, hangover or dulled mind.
  • edited June 2019
    I want to thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experience. It helps to have some confidence in my hardware. I will continue with what I have "bonded" with, the Skull and Sword, just a little under 8" wide. Maybe I had one or saw one when I was a kid, but when I saw it on Amazon +5 years ago, I just had to have it! Now....I think I'm having a midlife crisis that is manifesting itself in skateboarding. In any case, I went to our tiny skate park last night and dropped in 20 times (first time with no bails from the start!).
    Here's a little video I made of my progress:
  • edited June 2019
    kudos and dont lean in too far ur gonna smash ur face
  • Rad! Looks like you are having fun!
  • edited June 2019
    @brigade_bill I really appreciate any advice that might keep my face attached! The drop-ins to the quarter-pipe in the video were among my first (I changed from the white t-shirt into my favorite Tony Hawk shirt in a fanboy moment). White-shirt video was from my 5th-8th successful drop-ins, and the darker Tony Hawk shirt was from my 13th-16th successful drop ins, all filmed on the first day I learned it. I practice in 4's (4 successes, then a small break to let the feeling set in, then 4 more, usually for a total of 16 in a session, although I grabbed 20 in my last session because I didn't want to stop....). Anyway, I will be more aware of how much I am leaning in.

@ovaldragon Honestly, I am having more fun than I imagined I would have! Of course, I didn't film any of my bails, which most people might say looks like NO fun (they would be right). I certainly had a few bails that made me "pause"....50 years old dude? How many times do I think I can hit the ground that hard and get back up again? Fortunately, I have a strong "Fuck it" attitude when it comes to that shit. (I hope it's ok to swear here? English is my 2nd language. My 1st language is swearing.)
  • sounds good
  • He’s not leaning too far forward...he’s just getting his centre of gravity down. Easier to bail and less painful that way Biebs!
  • on one quarter pipe he leaned in pretty far
  • wheres Cab's advice? hes prolly in bed reading all this
  • im sure he has other things to worry about
  • I have noticed that at times I lean so much I literally leave the skateboard behind and need to run out, especially on the smaller ramps. It’s been happening less though as I get a feel for the whole deal. Early on, I think a big lean-in was my way of “committing”, as some people suggest. Definitely getting less lean though, and more of a fluid drop in too (before yesterday it was robotic, like, place foot THEN lean in THEN stomp down THEN don’t fall!)
  • Beats leaning back.
  • I unintentionally did that last Saturday when doing a tail stall and my legs went mental @ghostbuster . The slam wasn’t too bad though lol
  • One of my hardest slams and the reason I'm very slow to commit on top of the coping is due to the same slam, Wake. Pretty sure mine was the one that slightly tore my rotator cuff.